Sunday, April 21, 2013

Oops! The pics I forgot

I was just browsing through my blogs and realized I never ended up posting pics of the (mostly) finished kitchen and living room. My life is always a work in progress but, for now, this is what I've done.
This was my kitchen before:



And here is where I am to date in my kitchen projects:



I'm still enormously proud and pleased with my floor tile. We have had lots of visitors and each one has expressed total disbelief at my creativity and tiling prowess. None has yet to guess that the wood-look tile isn't wood until they bend down and tap it. My hubby shows these pics to people he works with and anyone else he encounters when he has the chance and they all ask the same thing: "Does she have a business card?" I have to laugh(and cry a little) because I'd love to do this for a living and I know I have the opportunity yet my body is unwilling to set aside the effects of time so that I can get on with living.
I am still not in like (much less love) with my cabinets but I have learned a valuable lesson with home projects. If money is scarce and ideas are too plentiful, it's always best to wait until the two converge before making a move. It's much harder and more expensive to undo your mistakes than to live with what you dislike.
My first order of business when I am back to work will be the purchase of tools. I have been eyeballing a nice table saw, a router and a miter saw. Hubby keeps telling me not to buy them because they will have limited use in the long run but how else can one complete projects of this magnitude? I borrowed a table saw for quite a while and I've decided that it's better to own it than to use someone else's. My love of building things will keep the saw dust on it for many years to come.
I think I never got around to posting the pics of my laminate floor too so here are a few. I do love the ease of care and the coolness underfoot of laminate.





I ended up changing out the base trim after I finished the floor to a style that I liked better than what was there before. During the install, I figured out why they used the corner caps instead of mitering the corners. The corners of the walls aren't square, they're rounded. That was something interesting that I hadn't noticed in any of the houses we'd rented and never saw in Maine. The only square corners are the inside ones. I installed the trim with miter cuts anyway and filled the gap with white caulk which I smoothed up to the wall in a gentle slope. It actually looks a lot better than those odd little quarter round pieces that were there.
I feel pretty confident that I have finally covered all my bases but I'm sure there will be something I missed. There always is.

No comments:

Post a Comment