Thursday, April 11, 2013

The reality of Minwax GelStain

This has been a week of intense consideration and indecisiveness. I am fully and totally in love with the kitchen from the movie Practical Magic. I obviously can't fit that exact kitchen into my home but I love the tall white cabinets, the glass uppers and transom lights. I love the rustic island, the little nook that serves as a dining room. I especially love the way it makes me feel when I look at pictures and imagine capturing that same feeling in my own kitchen. I am scared to death of painting my wood cabinets. As much as I hate the builder golden oak and the crappy, dated feel, I am still subject to mini seizures when I think about layering on white glossy paint. Again, no fear of paint or color here just a long held notion that my ultimate desire was dark hickory with wood grain showing through.
So, fortunately, I have a few of the same cabinets in the garage that I can experiment on without committing to the whole ball of wax. I took out an 18" upper and lower cabinet in order to fit the stove and fridge that I wanted into the space that I had, along with two of those useless 15"x 30" mini wall cabinets. Mind you, I replaced them with two more useless mini cabinets in 12" height for no reason other than I needed a place to hang my range hood microwave and to fill that space above the fridge. Come on, admit it. We all do things without thinking then stand there wondering what we were thinking a month later. I will insert my generic excuse here: I was completely exhausted and strung out at the time with laying flooring and all the other lovely things that go along with moving into a new home before it's actually ready. So anyway, I have pieces to experiment on. I am, however, minus one because I got my panties in a bunch and decided to ditch all the useless stuff in the garage before it had a chance to take over our lives. I remember the nightmare that was packing and sorting when we were preparing to move from Maine to St. George, UT. Both will stay with me forever and cause me to exhibit impulsively bad and unrealistic behavior.
So I singled out the easiest cabinet to make into my first victim. It was a no-brainer because it was sitting in the middle of the floor between the two cars where we keep the trash cans. I removed the door, hinges and drawer, gave them all a good scrub down with TSP (super prepaint cleaner) and dragged the door and drawer out to the back patio. I took a 150 grit sanding sponge and rubbed them down until it looked like all the urethane sealer was gone. I then carefully removed all the residue with a old dry paint brush and vacuum cleaner and wiped down all surfaces with a liquid deglosser.
Before I go much further, I should probably tell you what my mission was and where my inspiration came from. My initial intent was to prep, prime and paint that cabinet with glossy white paint. After all the work that went into it, I realized that I had just completed all the steps I read on Pinterest to refinish your kitchen cabinets with gel stain. I took the rest of the day off from my mission and finished the shelf I made for the wall beside the hot tub. I needed to be sure of what I was about to do.
After much discussion with hubby on the subject, I decided to seek out some gel stain and give that a try. This is all that I could find locally...
My exact thoughts were as follows: Gel stains are all the same so what does it matter the brand. I am officially dumber than a bag of rocks. Well, I take that back. The manufacturer is participating in a mindless game of make-the-consumer-feel-like-an-idiot while they relabel all their products with different, trendy names and add a little of this and a little that to make the consistency slightly different. The above pictured product is the epitome of why people feel incompetent when it comes to DIY projects. If you spin this little bad boy around and read the instructions, you will find that all their products have exactly the same irrelevant steps and this one in particular made me quite angry that they couldn't at least make it seem like the instructions matched the product. Let me clarify. It specifically says to apply "liberally" with a brush or clean cloth. It then tells you to wait 3 minutes and wipe off excess with another clean cloth. Wait a minute. That sounds hauntingly familiar. I went to the garage and grabbed a can of regular oil stain and, sure enough, same directions. Gel stain is thick like pudding and goes on thick like pudding yet it states not to thin. Okay. So I did it and, no surprise, 3 minutes later this stuff was like half dry paste. My rag just stuck to it without budging anything. So I remove what I put on with mineral spirits and grab a brush to apply a less liberal coat. You can't not apply this liberally in it's natural state. Remember, it's thick like pudding. I guess I should have taken a pic of the first mess but I didn't. So now I am at the experimenting stage.
Experiment numero uno: I washed down both pieces with mineral spirits, dampened the brush as well and blotted it well on one of my now not so clean rags. I dipped the brush into the gel stain and brushed it over the surface. Lo and behold, it went on just like a sheer paint. Well, almost. I had to work it with many brush strokes to get a good looking finish but, so far, it looks pretty good. It's a lot of work. These are the pieces after prep...
And here is what they look like at this very moment. It's been roughly two hours since I applied the stain.


 The top is the back of the door and the bottom one is the drawer front. The larger surface was a bit more difficult to cover well. I will see how they dry overnight and what they look like and get back to you on that. Just an FYI, this girl is not sold on the idea of that much extra work to make a product behave. She's also not sold on stain as opposed to paint either. That's what this experiment is all about. The next cabinet will get a coat of primer and glossy white paint.
Oh, before I forget, I tried out the glass cutting by fire shown in the pin below.
It works! I tried it out on a wine bottle and there are a few things to know before attempting this. The most important is that you need to soak your string for more than a couple minutes. It needs to be thoroughly saturated with acetone. Second is a bowl of water with ice allows the bottle to just pop apart. I didn't get a clean cut for whatever reason but I can sand it smooth and use it for a candle cover. I'm going to save my big Liberty Creek wine bottles and cut them at different heights so make an arrangement of hurricane-style candle covers for the back patio. It's windy here most of the time and that would be ideal for ambiance. This is my bottle cut.

So that was a fun little time filler. I will get back to my cabinets now :)

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment