Friday, April 5, 2013

Searching for projects

So I have come to the end of the cash string on the new house for now. I will be returning to work soon and I'm desperately looking for small projects I can complete for little of no money. I did find a few but I'm still walking through the house constantly looking for more. I am not the kind of person who can be idle. I have to be moving all the time, sort of like a shark. As long as I'm doing something, anything, I'm not getting into trouble. Well, that's not always true but close enough.
I've been resisting suggestions from hubby and other family to paint simply because I hate painting and I don't know what colors to choose. I'm far from color shy but, at the moment, I am not mentally ready to commit to color. My kitchen is a long way from done and I haven't settled on cabinet color or counter top color/material so, if I paint now, I have to repaint later.
I did finally get sick of looking at the dated bright brass ceiling fans I took down from the living room and made a project out of them. We had one working fan left on the patio and both were in serious need of a disappearance. The ones from the living room were high quality and the only thing I hated about them was the color. Well, and the light fixtures.  Other than that, they were prime candidates for repurposing.
This is what I started with...

And this is what I ended with...
Not remarkable by any means but it's a satisfying project to save something from a landfill ending. When something is good quality and still works well but is just ugly, a can of spray paint can go a long way. I love Rustoleum's new Universal series as it's paint and primer in one plus it can go any any surface, even shiny metal. This is oil rubbed bronze from the metallic finish line. I haven't decided what to do about the lights yet but I'm still digging through boxes and totes, you never know what I might find to repurpose.
I finally settled on using some of my leftover tile pieces to make a counter top for the lonely little cabinet between the stove and fridge. I knew that eventually I'd be doing totally new counter tops so I just needed something for now that wouldn't cost much. I didn't end up spending any money on this.
It's the 6 inch cut offs from the wood-look tile along with a couple full width end pieces from the 18 inch field tiles and some glass tile from the thresholds to had a dash of interest. Hubby thinks it's cute. I think it will do.
I am anxious to get back to work and start making money so I can spend it all on the house lol. I'm sure hubby would beg to differ but oh well.
I saw this pin for the first time today and it sparked an idea for my laundry room.
I already have a useless cabinet beside the washer and dryer that is serving only as junk storage at the moment. I think a tip out laundry bin would be much nicer than the sea grass basket that's currently sitting on top of the dryer. I've been trolling Pinterest specifically for ideas for that laundry room. This would be just one great use of space. I'm sure there are others.
Until next time...Love life and pin your little hearts out!
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment