Tuesday, April 16, 2013

The reality of Minwax GelStain Pt. 2

I'm not sure if I ever got around to stating what the reality of Minwax GelStain is in my last blog but here it is: First of all, it's not really a stain unless you think in terms of tinted lip gloss. The word stain denotes that the product should be a stain but, even on bare wood, the product doesn't sink in and stain anything. It's more of a sheer paint in wood finish colors. Secondly, the Minwax company is horrible at labeling their products with precise directions for use of the product that's actually in the can. The third and final reality check for this product is that it's just mean to work with. I actually finished the cabinet I was experimenting on and, I must warn you, it looks dreadful. The only nice part is the drawer front which ended up getting a light single coat and I didn't go back and add another yet. It's one saving grace is that, if it darkens well and goes on evenly, I still may do the whole kitchen with it. I'm not committed to the shade. If I don't, it will be several coats of antique walnut Polyshades, also by Minwax. Have a look and see what you think:
The pic doesn't give a good view of how uneven and motley the door came out but, trust me, it's uneven. Enough so that my OCD might become a problem. The on thing I do like is the depth of color and the low sheen achieved when top coating with a satin finish. The drawer front hasn't gotten one yet but the richness in the color is really sweet (at least where it's even).
I've used Polyshades many times over already stained and finished cabinets with great results. The only problem with it is that the two dark shades it's available in are extremely dark. I saw that there are a couple new shades that are more modern that I may take a gander at. One is called espresso and that calls to mind a rich, dark coffee color. I may have to pick up a pint to see if I like it while I still have a bare cabinet to play with.
I finished the cabinet on the end of the kitchen today. Okay, let me rephrase that. I rebuilt the upper cabinet so that it goes all the way down to the counter and finished painting it today. I love how it looks without doors and it's making me think of an open cabinet for dishes. Maybe.

The top photo is the before and the bottom is the current. I am still working on the doors but should have to painted and mounted in another day or two. Hubby is off for the next two days so that is a random thought more than a commitment. I really struggled with what to use for door material. I didn't want to spend an enormous amount of money but I wanted them to feel solid like the existing. I knew there was no hope of finding the right size in a match so I removed the uppers as well and made doors for them as well. I stood in the lumber isle of +Lowe's Home Improvement  and later +The Home Depot  for quite some time, racking my brain for an idea. I went home and slept on it, and as is customary for me, I had my light bulb moment. I went back to +The Home Depot and bought the 5/8 tongue and groove. I revised my entire idea in the process. Since the doors were going to be different, the whole cabinet had to have a distinctly separate look. That's when the idea for white came into play. I had the idea to build two tall cabinets on the other side of the kitchen with glass doors and sides and they would be white. Here is the inspiration:
I love this look and have the perfect place for two of these. So anyway, I went with white on the new one for that reason. My hubby and I both expressed concern over going with all white cabinets or all dark for fear that the kitchen would become either too dark or two antiseptic looking. We both love a very tidy, clean kitchen and all white might be a disaster for us. I think it's going to look excellent with the mix of both light and dark. If it doesn't, I'm just going to live with it until I get the time to redo it again. It's all changeable.
I forgot about having made the dividers for the drawers while I was wandering the house looking for small, quick projects. We love the organization and will def be adding many more like this.
I have so many pins that have inspired me on organization and, eventually, I will get most of them done. While I'm playing catch up, here's a better pic of the toe kick drawers that I love so much.

These are literally the best thing since sliced bread. It's time for me to go do real life again so I will leave you with an idea for my next blog (while I buy time to finish my cabinet doors lol). I was a licensed cosmetologist for well over 20 years and it's bugs the crap out of me to read pins about "the proper way to apply polish" so I'm going to teach you the industry secret for polish that will stay on your toenails until it grows off!



No comments:

Post a Comment